Custer's Tomato Salad with Grilled Greens and Stilton
- SERVINGS: 6
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 pounds medium yellow tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium red tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon-flavored olive oil (see Note), or extra-virgin olive oil mixed with 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup purple basil sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon finely shredded leaves
- 1 cup green basil sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon finely shredded leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large bunch watercress (about 6 ounces), tough stems discarded
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup (packed) tender arugula, tough stems discarded
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pine nuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, or until golden.
- Arrange the tomato slices in a ring, alternating yellow and red slices, on each of 6 large plates. Drizzle with the lemon-flavored olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the shredded basil and chopped chives on top.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet. In a bowl, whisk the light olive oil with the lemon juice and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the basil sprigs and watercress; toss well. Add the dressed greens to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, tossing frequently, until charred and lightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Return the greens to the bowl, add the spinach and arugula and toss until wilted. Add the Stilton and pine nuts, season with salt and pepper and toss. Mound the salad in the centers of the plates and serve.
A floral Sauvignon Blanc will balance the saltiness of the cheese.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.