- 1 cup orzo
- 12 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned, 8 minutes. Add the leeks and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add the leek mixture to the orzo, leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted; transfer to a colander and press out the excess liquid. Add the spinach to the orzo, fold in the feta and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the yogurt and milk, season with pepper and stir into the orzo. Scrape the mixture into an oiled 12-by-8-inch baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Vibrant, fresh whites from the Greek Peloponnese region are fantastic with tangy feta cheese.
Photo © Marcus Nilsson Published February 2013