Curry-Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
This Indian twist on the traditional Thanksgiving dish of roasted butternut squash is supereasy: After tossing the squash and chickpeas with curry and cayenne, Melissa Rubel Jacobson roasts them, then drizzles the dish with a cooling cilantro-spiked yogurt sauce.
More Easy Indian Dishes
- 2 large butternut squash (5 1/2 pounds)—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas—drained, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with the chickpeas, olive oil, curry and cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Spread the squash cubes and chick peas on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir the yogurt with the cilantro and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the roasted butternut squash and chickpeas onto a platter and drizzle with 1/2 cup of the yogurt sauce. Serve the remaining yogurt sauce on the side.