- 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole okra
- 3 dried red chile peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black or white peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1 tablespoon red curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Divide the okra evenly between 3 sterile canning pint jars. Place 1 dried chile, 1 clove of garlic, and one cinnamon stick into each jar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, vinegar, mustard seeds, peppercorns, turmeric, red chile flakes, celery seeds, dry ginger, curry powder, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt for the brine. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved and spices are blended. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, pour the pickling brine as evenly as possible into the jars. Seal the jars in a hot water bath according to the jars' package instructions and store in a cool, dry place for at least a week.
Pickled okra should last up to 6 months in a sealed jar when stored in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening.