Curry Fried Chicken Wings
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Panko and cornstarch give these juicy chicken wings an irresistibly crisp coating, while curry powder provides a flavor boost. The brilliant idea to include curry in the marinade came from Bryant Ng’s wife, Kim.
- 2 pounds chicken wings, cut into 2 pieces at the joints
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- Kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar (see Note) or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a shallow baking dish, toss the chicken wings with 1 tablespoon of the curry powder and 2 teaspoons of salt; arrange the wings in a single layer. Nestle the garlic around the wings and drizzle the vinegar and fish sauce over them. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Spread the cornstarch in pie plate and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. In another pie plate, whisk the eggs with the coconut milk. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the panko, cayenne, white and black pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon of curry powder.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Working in batches, dredge the wings in the cornstarch and shake off the excess, then dip them in the egg mixture and coat thoroughly with the panko flour. Transfer the wings to the baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Add half of the wings and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the wings to paper towels to drain and fry the remaining wings. Serve with lime wedges.
Spiced, red berry-scented Pinot Noir
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.