© Tina Rupp
Curry-and-Yogurt-Braised Chicken Thighs
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The creaminess in this quick-braised chicken curry comes from tangy Greek-style low-fat yogurt, which Grace Parisi cleverly blends with fresh tomatoes, corn kernels, serrano chile, ginger and curry powder for immense flavor.
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper—cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear)
- 1/4 cup Greek-style plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour, tapping off the excess. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the ginger, garlic, chile and bell pepper to the skillet and cook over high heat until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, corn, yogurt and water; stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over very low heat until the chicken is tender and the juices are slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken with cilantro and serve.
Serve With Steamed rice.
Spicy Cabernet Franc.