- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- One 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon West Indian curry powder (see Note)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a small skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the scallions, ginger and garlic, season with a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the aromatics are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Scrape the seasonings into a small bowl and stir in the mayonnaise and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The curry aioli can be refrigerated for 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
West Indian curry powder usually contains allspice, which Indian blends often don't, and it's usually quite yellow thanks to a large amount of turmeric. It's available at spice shops and at kalustyans.com.