- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 large shrimp (about 3/4 pound), shelled and deveined
- 2 kirby cucumbers (1/2 pound), cut into thin spears
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound red and yellow watermelons without the rind, sliced into flat triangles
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- 3 packed cups mâche
- 1/2 cup Greek-style whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, combine the curry powder and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In another medium bowl, toss the cucumbers, mint and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat a grill pan. Sprinkle one side of each piece of watermelon with sugar. Grill on the sugared side over high heat until charred, about 2 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until white throughout, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Add the mâche and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the cucumbers and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, season the yogurt with salt. Dollop the yogurt onto plates and top with the grilled watermelon and shrimp. Drizzle any curry oil from the skillet over the shrimp. Spoon the cucumber salad alongside, sprinkle with the pistachios and serve immediately.
The aromatics of Gewürztraminerfloral, spicy and fruity all at oncemake it an ideal partner for curry's fragrant spiciness. Try a bottling from California.