© Tina Rupp
Curried Shrimp and Carrot Bouillabaisse
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Soup Recipes and Tips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pound medium carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fresh carrot juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add the shrimp, season with salt, pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the curry and cook over moderately high heat for 3 minutes, stirring. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over moderately low heat. Add the shallot, garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry; cook for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to moderate, add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 5 minutes.
- Wrap the caraway, coriander, mustard seeds and bay leaf in cheesecloth and add to the pan. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, 2 minutes. Add the carrot juice, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, 10 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet; simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the spices. Transfer to bowls, garnish with cilantro and serve.