Curried Scallops with Spinach
- SERVINGS: 4
With few ingredients and even fewer steps, this curry is a cinch to make quickly. Most of the work is done by a blender, which ensures a silky sauce. If you don't have a blender, use a food processor; the texture will just be slightly less smooth.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded spinach (about 3 ounces spinach leaves)
- 2 pounds sea scallops
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender and add the tomato paste, broth, and cream. Puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
- Bring the curry sauce just to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and scallops. Simmer, covered, until the scallops are just done, 5 to 7 minutes.
Sauvignon Blanc is a perfect choice to serve with this dish. Its acidity will go well with the spinach and work beautifully with both the mild curry and the scallops. You'll find good possibilities from many continents: Try a bottle from California, New Zealand, or South Africa.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.