- One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil), divided
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 5.6 ounce (165ml) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 two-inch long pieces fresh lemongrass, smashed
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 Thai chili, sliced (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
How to make this recipe
- Pat the tofu block dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Stir in the shallots and garlic and then cook for about 1 minute, or until soft.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, curry powder, brown sugar, lemongrass, bell pepper, black pepper, and optional chilies. Simmer for about 30 seconds to heat through.
- Toss tofu with the curry sauce and serve garnished with cilantro.