- One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil), divided
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 5.6 ounce (165ml) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 two-inch long pieces fresh lemongrass, smashed
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 Thai chili, sliced (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
Pat the tofu block dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Stir in the shallots and garlic and then cook for about 1 minute, or until soft.
Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, curry powder, brown sugar, lemongrass, bell pepper, black pepper, and optional chilies. Simmer for about 30 seconds to heat through.
Toss tofu with the curry sauce and serve garnished with cilantro.