Curried Eggplant with Chickpeas and Spinach
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup finely julienned fresh ginger
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 5-ounce bag baby spinach
- Warm naan and plain yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a work surface, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. In a large roasting pan, mix the paste with the curry powder and vegetable oil. Add the eggplant, onion, chickpeas and ginger, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the eggplant and onion are tender. Stir in the spinach and roast just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve with warm naan and yogurt.
Serve with a crisp, full-bodied Pinot Gris from New Zealand's Central Otago region.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.