- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney (preferably Major Gray), chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mixed sweet potato, vegetable and pita chips, for serving
- In a deep, medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chutney, cream cheese, mayonnaise and lime juice and cook, stirring, until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Stir in the scallions, cilantro and crab, breaking up the crab slightly with the spoon. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the dip is heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a shallow bowl and serve with chips.
Bright, appley Chardonnay.