- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Savoy cabbage (about 1 small head), coarsely shredded
- 2 teaspoons ground curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3/4 pound Tuscan kale (about 1 large bunch), ribs removed and thinly sliced
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepot, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, cabbage, curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Cook over moderate heat until the cabbage is wilted, about 4 minutes. Add the coconut milk, cover, and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 8 minutes. Add the kale to the pot, and cook for another 5 minutes.
To serve, stir in the orange zest and orange juice, and bring to a simmer over low heat, about 3 minutes. Fold in the cilantro leaves, sprinkle with the flaked coconut, and serve warm.
The dish will keep in an airtight container up to 2 days. Re-heat to serve.