Curried Chicken on Pita
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 8-inch whole wheat pita breads
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and cut into thin crescents
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the yogurt with the garlic, garam masala and curry powder. Add the chicken strips and stir until they are thoroughly coated with the yogurt-spice mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the sliced jalapeños, red onion and coated chicken strips, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the chicken strips are just white throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let stand for 1 minute to let the chicken, jalapeños and red onion cool slightly. Fold the remaining 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons of yogurt into the chicken, jalapeños and red onion until well combined.
- Heat the pita breads in the oven, about 30 seconds. Set the pitas on plates and top each one with a lettuce leaf, tomato wedges and cucumber slices. Spoon the chicken in yogurt sauce on top and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.