© Jim Franco
Curried Chicken Kebabs
- SERVINGS: 4
Amazing Chicken Recipes
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
- In a small skillet, toast the coriander and cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Transfer the seeds to a plate to cool, then grind them to a powder in a spice grinder. Meanwhile, soak eight 6-inch wooden skewers in water for at least 1 hour.
- Put the curry powder and turmeric in the skillet and toast over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. In a large bowl, whisk all the spices with the coconut milk, olive oil, vinegar, mirin, honey and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat well with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Light a grill or heat a lightly oiled grill pan. Loosely thread the chicken onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a medium-hot fire for about 4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and just cooked through. Alternatively, cook the chicken in the grill pan over moderate heat for about 4 minutes per side. Serve hot.
These spicy chicken kebabs would best be paired with an easy-to-drink ale.