Curried Chicken and Rice
- SERVINGS: 4
Sautéed chicken cooks with delicate basmati rice in this spicy pilaf.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups basmati or Texmati rice
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet skin side down and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 12 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until barely soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, curry powder, dill, cumin, crushed red pepper and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the stock. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Transfer the breasts and wings to a plate, cover and keep warm. Cover the skillet and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the rice is tender. Spoon the rice onto a platter. Set the chicken on top, garnish with the cilantro and serve at once.
Pair with a slightly spicy Muscat d'Alsace, like Zind-Humbrecht Muscat d'Alsace.