- One 1 3/4-pound head of cauliflower, cored—one-third cut into 3/4-inch florets, the rest coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 baking potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 quart vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1 seeded and thinly sliced jalapeño and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium baking dish, toss the cauliflower florets with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper and roast on the top shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes, until tender but not browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, combine the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds and toast over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool. Add the turmeric, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne and pulse until finely ground.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and spice blend and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped cauliflower, potato and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth and silky. Return the soup to the pot and add the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and pass the roasted cauliflower florets, cilantro, jalapeño and lime wedges at the table.
The soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat gently before serving
One Serving: 171 cal, 9 gm fat, 4.2 gm sat fat, 19 gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 5 gm protein.
Zippy, green apple–inflected Pinot Gris.