© Stephanie Foley
Curried Cauliflower and Green Bean Salad with Lemon Yogurt
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Mark Peel, chef at Los Angeles's esteemed Campanile, opened the Point, a casual new breakfast-and-lunch spot, in Culver City. Here he flavors roasted cauliflower and green beans with a mild curry powder.
Slideshow: Make-Ahead Picnic Salads
- One 2 1/4-pound head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices of white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder, such as Madras
- 1 cup fat-free, Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower and onion with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper; spread the vegetables on a large baking sheet. In the same bowl, toss the beans with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the beans on a small baking sheet. Roast all of the vegetables until crisp-tender and lightly browned, stirring once or twice, about 14 minutes for the beans and 16 for the cauliflower and onions. Return all of the vegetables to the bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the bread and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool and season with salt.
- In the same skillet, toast the curry powder over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Scrape the curry over the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt with the lemon juice, cilantro and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the vegetables with the croutons and serve with the yogurt sauce.
Make Ahead The roasted curried vegetables and lemon-yogurt sauce can be refrigerated separately overnight. The croutons can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature overnight. Notes One serving 271 cal, 19 gm carb, 18 gm fat, 2.7 gm sat fat, 9 gm protein, 5 gm fiber.
Spicy, melony Pinot Gris from Oregon.