- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 8 medium carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 3 large leeks (about 1 1/2 pounds), white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the carrots and cook until just tender, about 7 minutes. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan, add the water and reheat gently.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.