- 1 1/3 cups fine cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 hot dogs, quartered lengthwise
- Mustard, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 300°. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and onion powder. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the milk and honey. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just blended. Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Set a large rack over a large, rimmed baking sheet. Dip 4 hot dog strips in the batter to coat, then slip them into the hot oil. Fry over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the rack to drain; keep the corn dogs warm in the oven while you finish frying. Repeat, frying up to 6 strips at a time. Serve hot, with mustard.