Cumin-Spiced Roast Chicken Breast with Zesty Black Beans
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
A quick dredge in a mixture of cornstarch and spices gives this chicken dish a satisfying crust. The stir-and-serve black bean salad is a delicious side dish here, but it also works well as a light vegetarian lunch, especially over brown rice or quinoa.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Four 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
Black Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the Chicken Preheat the oven to 375°. In a shallow bowl, whisk the cornstarch with the cumin, salt, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Dredge the chicken breasts in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the browned chicken to a baking dish and continue cooking in the oven for 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Make the Black Bean Salad In a large bowl, toss the onion with the jalapeño, orange juice, lime juice and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add the beans, olive oil and cilantro and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve alongside the chicken.