- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Four 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the Chicken Preheat the oven to 375°. In a shallow bowl, whisk the cornstarch with the cumin, salt, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Dredge the chicken breasts in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Prepare the Chicken In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the browned chicken to a baking dish and continue cooking in the oven for 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Make the Black Bean Salad In a large bowl, toss the onion with the jalapeño, orange juice, lime juice and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add the beans, olive oil and cilantro and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve alongside the chicken.
Tip: The next day, shred the leftover chicken and mix it with any leftover beans for a quick taco or quesadilla filling. Top with minced raw onion, chopped cilantro, and cheese. Tip: Mash leftover black beans with a potato masher and stir in a little sour cream and hot sauce. Top with sliced scallions and serve as a dip with tortilla chips. Tip: Turn this into a big southwestern-inspired salad by topping a bed of greens with any leftover chicken and beans plus jack cheese, avocado, and strips of toasted tortilla. One serving: 433 cal, 12 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 30 gm carb, 7 gm fiber, 52 gm protein.