Cumin-Spiced Burgers with Harissa Mayo
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
The Moroccan flavors in these burgersshaped into ovals instead of the usual roundsinclude cumin, harissa and garlic. The sauce: a delectable mix of mayonnaise, caraway seeds and more harissa.
More Great Burgers
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons harissa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Eight 6-inch oval rolls, split
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Tomato and cucumber slices
- In a large bowl, gently mix the ground chuck with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of the harissa, the cumin, garlic powder and thyme. Form the meat into eight 3/4-inch-thick oval patties. In a medium bowl, toss the onion slices with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan. Cook the onions over moderate heat, turning once, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Grill the burgers over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium, about 8 minutes. Grill the rolls until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the caraway and the remaining 2 tablespoons of harissa; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayo on the rolls. Top with the patties, onions, tomato and cucumber; close the sandwiches and serve.
Serve with a spicy Washington Syrah.