- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Kosher salt
- One 17-ounce package cooked lentils (see Note)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice, a pinch of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring just to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, until the rice is just tender and the water is absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the lentils, scallions, olive oil and lime juice; season with salt and pepper and serve.
The best precooked lentils are Cryovaced and sold in blocks at many supermarkets.