- 2/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Cayenne pepper
- Spoon the yogurt into a coffee filter set in a strainer and let stand until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer the yogurt to a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cumin seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the carrots and scallions and cook, stirring, until just heated through. Add the carrot mixture and the cilantro to the drained yogurt and season with salt and cayenne. Serve the raita warm, at room temperature or chilled.
More Saucy Ideas: Serve the raita with grilled and roasted meats and poultry, or stir it into cooked lentils, beans or grains.
Master Sauce recipe adapted from Get Saucy, by Grace Parisi, copyright ©2005, with permission from Harvard Common Press, 535 Albany St., Boston, MA 02118.