Cumin Lamb Noodles with Eggplant
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Blogger Ashley Rodriguez creates a rich, creamy lamb ragù with delicious Greek flavors; it's a total crowd-pleaser and a nice alternative to more common Italian pasta dishes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, preferably hot
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces gemelli
- 1/2 cup whole plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the sauce is thickened, 12 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Stir the pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water into the sauce; add more water if a thinner sauce is desired. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the yogurt and mint. Season with salt and serve hot.
Dark-berried Barbera d'Alba.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.