- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small Fresno chiles, seeded and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 3/4 pounds collard green stems, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the chiles, garlic and cumin; cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the collard stems and cook, stirring, until bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the stock. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the stems are tender, 10 minutes. Swirl in the butter, season with salt and serve.
The braised collard stems can be refrigerated overnight.