© Jonelle Weaver
Cucumber and Herb Blossom Salsa
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
While I'm particular about using either kirby or small Japanese cucumbers that aren't waxed (of course, homegrown cucumbers don't have any wax to remove), I'll try any flowering herbs.
- 1 1/2 pounds cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon minced and seeded red chile
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup chive flowers, pulled apart
- 1 cup torn nasturtium flowers
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves and flowers
- 2 tablespoons small spearmint leaves and flowers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- In a bowl, toss the cucumbers with the chile and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in the chive flowers, nasturtiums, basil, spearmint, lemon juice, olive oil and lemon zest. Season with salt and serve.
Serve With Grilled fish, chicken or thick slices of peasant bread.