Cucumber and Herb Blossom Salsa
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
While I'm particular about using either kirby or small Japanese cucumbers that aren't waxed (of course, homegrown cucumbers don't have any wax to remove), I'll try any flowering herbs.
- 1 1/2 pounds cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon minced and seeded red chile
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup chive flowers, pulled apart
- 1 cup torn nasturtium flowers
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves and flowers
- 2 tablespoons small spearmint leaves and flowers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- In a bowl, toss the cucumbers with the chile and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in the chive flowers, nasturtiums, basil, spearmint, lemon juice, olive oil and lemon zest. Season with salt and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.