- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Hearty Cuban food, with its reliance on rice, beans, plantains and simple meats like roasted chicken or pork, tends to go best with similarly rustic, full-bodied wines, whether white or red. These cubano sandwiches get their character from a classic Cuban mojo, which can be either a marinade or, in this case, a sauce. Like most Cuban mojos, Anya Von Bremzen's starts with orange juice, then cumin, garlic, oregano, cilantro and quick-pickled red onions add complexity and kick.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless roast pork, very coarsely shredded
- 4 soft hero rolls, split but still attached at one side
- 6 ounces Black forest ham
- 4 ounces sliced Genoa salami
- 6 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Yellow mustard and hot sauce, for serving
- Melted unsalted butter, for brushing
- In a bowl, whisk the orange juice with the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, cumin, cilantro, onion and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the shredded pork and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, mound the pork on the bottom of each roll. Spoon a little of the marinade over the pork and top with the ham, salami, Swiss cheese and dill pickles. Spread mustard and hot sauce on the top half of each roll and press the sandwiches closed. Brush the rolls on top and bottom with butter.
- Preheat a panini press. Working with one or two sandwiches at a time, press the cubanos until toasted and the Swiss cheese is melted. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
These meaty, cheesy sandwiches need a big wine to stand up to them, such as a plummy Malbec from Argentina.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.