© Monica Buck
- SERVINGS: MAKES 6 SANDWICHES
Chipotle mayonnaise gives this Cuban classic a Mexican twist. You can use a loaf of soft Italian bread in place of the rolls.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 6 long sandwich rolls, split in half
- 6 thin slices Black Forest ham
- 12 thin slices imported Swiss cheese
- 2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pounds Mexican Roast Pork, thinly sliced or shredded (about 3 cups), plus reserved pan juices
- In a mini food processor, combine the mayonnaise and chipotles and process until smooth. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise. Assemble the sandwiches with the ham, cheese, pickles and Mexican Roast Pork. Top the meat with a spoonful of the pork pan juices and season with salt. Close the sandwiches and tuck in any overhanging filling.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Set a large griddle over moderately low heat. Arrange the sandwiches on the griddle and cover with a large baking sheet weighted down with several heavy skillets. Cook the sandwiches, turning once, until they are crisp outside, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a cookie sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately; pass the remaining pan juices separately.
Any good microbrew would be great with this flavorful pork, ham and cheese sandwich.