© Quentin Bacon
Crunchy Winter Vegetable Salad with Olives and Capers
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
This substantial side makes a bold statement: It's crisp, piquant and refreshing, plus it's supercharged with vegetables.
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 head broccoli (1 1/4 pounds), cut into bite-size florets
- 1/2 head cauliflower (1 pound), cut into bite-size florets
- 1/2 fennel bulb, some feathery fronds reserved and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Calamata olives, plus 1 tablespoon chopped olives
- 1 tablespoon whole drained capers, plus 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head endive, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/4 pounds jicama, peeled and cut into julienne sticks
- 1 small head of radicchio—halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 head of escarole, inner leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and blanch just until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; drain, plunge into ice water and drain well. Pat the broccoli thoroughly dry. Repeat with the cauliflower florets. Using a mandoline, slice the fennel paper-thin.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon each of chopped olives and capers with the lemon zest, mustard and garlic. Add the vinegar, then whisk in the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the dressing into a large bowl. Add the cauliflower, broccoli, whole olives and capers and toss; let stand for 5 minutes. Add all of the remaining vegetables, season with salt and pepper and toss. Add more dressing if desired and toss again. Garnish the salad with the fennel fronds and serve, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
Make AheadThe salad can be prepared 1 day ahead; refrigerate the vegetables and dressing separately.