© Quentin Bacon
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Sautéed Peas and Radishes
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (5 ounces)
- 1 pound fava beans, shelled (1 cup)
- 1/2 pound fresh peas, shelled (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 4 baby artichokes (about 1 pound)
- 4 medium radishes, quartered
- 1 bunch watercress (6 ounces), tough stems discarded
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Cut a slit into the base of each tomato and blanch them in the boiling water until their skins start to split, about 15 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water to cool, then drain and peel.
- In the same water, cook the fava beans until just tender, 2 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly, then peel. Blanch the peas until just tender, 2 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt. With a paring knife, trim the artichoke stems and snap off the tough outer leaves until you reach the light green inner leaves. Using a serrated knife, cut off the top third of the artichokes. Trim the bottoms and stems. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, remove the chokes, if any. Thinly slice the artichokes lengthwise, add them to the dressing and toss to coat. Add the peeled tomatoes and the fava beans and toss again.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add the radishes and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the blanched peas and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Season with salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the watercress with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and the lemon zest and transfer to plates. Top with the artichoke salad and the radishes and peas; serve.
NotesOne Serving 305 cal, 15 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 38 gm carb, 8 gm fiber.