Crunchy Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Quick Take Grace Parisi dredges cod strips in flour and potato flakes to create crunchy fish sticks, which she serves with a chunky sun-dried-tomato tartar sauce.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 sweet gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus wedges, for serving
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 3/4 pounds cod fillets, cut into 4-by-3/4-inch strips
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the sun-dried tomatoes, gherkins, red onion, dill and lemon juice. Season the tartar sauce with salt and cayenne.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the water. In another shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the flour with salt and cayenne. In a third shallow bowl, combine the potato flakes with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour and season with salt and cayenne. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and another one with paper towels.
- Working in batches, dredge the cod in the flour, tapping off the excess. Dip the cod in the egg, allow any excess to drip back into the bowl, then coat the cod in the potato flakes, pressing to help them adhere. Transfer the cod to the wax paperlined baking sheet.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 325°. Working in 2 batches, fry the cod in the hot oil, turning once, until deep golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to the paper towellined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining fish. Serve immediately with the tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Medium-bodied white blend.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.