- One 3-pound head of green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- One 2-pound head of red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- Put the shredded green and red cabbage in two large colanders and toss each with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let drain in the sink for 2 hours. Pat the cabbage dry.
- In a small, dry skillet, toast the caraway and celery seeds over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the water and let cool.
- In a blender, combine the mayonnaise, cream, sugar, onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne and black pepper. Pour in the caraway and celery seeds and their liquid; blend until the dressing is smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, carrot, apple and parsley; toss with the dressing. Season with salt.