Crunchy Cabbage Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Sometimes Jacques Pepin makes this simple salad with just one color of cabbage; sometimes he arranges it in alternating rows of color. The tangy-salty anchovy dressing would also be delicious on other crisp salad greens, such as escarole or chicory.
- 8 anchovy fillets, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound green cabbage, finely shredded (4 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 pound red cabbage, finely shredded (4 1/2 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the anchovies and garlic to a paste. Mash in the white wine vinegar, then slowly blend in the vegetable oil. Fold in the green and red cabbages and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.