Crunchy Cabbage Icebox Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN Plus 4 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 10
"This is a salad you can keep in your refrigerator until you're ready to serve; just like your summer slaw, but for winter," says Jenn Louis. The crisp vegetables mixed with the creamy yogurt dressing would also be excellent as a filling in tacos.
Green Salad Recipes
- 3 cups fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 cups finely shredded green cabbage (from a 2-pound head)
- 8 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely julienned peeled jicama (8 ounces)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (3 ribs)
- 4 ounces crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, milk, garlic, cayenne, chives, cilantro, mint and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the avocado and remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- n a large baking dish or shallow casserole, spread the cabbage in a thin layer. Top with the radishes, jicama, scallions, celery and avocado. Spread the yogurt dressing on top, then sprinkle with the cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.
One Serving 160 cal, 7 gm fat, 2.6 gm sat fat, 13 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 12 gm protein.