Â© Lucy Schaeffer
Crunchy Broccoli Slaw
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Most people throw away broccoli stems, preferring to eat the florets. But cut into long thin strips with a fine julienne peeler, the sweet and crunchy stems are perfect in a fresh-tasting slaw with carrots, scallions and salty sunflower seeds.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Stems from 3 pounds of broccoli, peeled and julienned (3 cups)
- 2 carrots, finely julienned
- 2 scallions, white and green parts cut into 1-inch lengths and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds
- In a food processor, process the mayonnaise, vinegar, oil and ginger until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the broccoli, carrots, scallions and cilantro and toss. Garnish with the sunflower seeds and serve.