- 6 thick slices of maple-cured bacon (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chile oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound snow peas, julienned
- 6 ounces snow pea shoots (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons torn mint leaves
Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Arrange the bacon slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. In a small bowl, stir together the honey, soy sauce and five-spice powder and brush liberally over the bacon. Broil for 10 minutes, turning once, until the bacon slices are browned and crisp. Transfer the bacon to a work surface and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Let the bacon cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lime juice, lime zest, fish sauce and chile oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the snow peas, pea shoots, basil, mint and bacon and toss. Serve right away.