- 4 cups pure olive oil
- 1 cup pastry flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound firm large zucchini, sliced into paper-thin rounds
- 1 lemon, sliced into paper-thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 large basil leaves
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the pure olive oil to 350°. Set a wire rack over a large baking sheet and cover it with paper towels.
- Put the flour in a large resealable plastic bag and season it generously with salt and pepper. Add one-fourth of the zucchini and lemon slices to the bag and shake to coat them with flour; shake off any excess. Add the floured vegetables to the oil and cook over high heat, turning once, until deep golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the paper towels to drain. Fry the remaining zucchini and lemon slices in 3 more batches, adjusting the heat as necessary to keep the oil temperature constant. Sprinkle the zucchini and lemon slices with the parsley and garlic.
- Fry the basil in the hot oil until crisp, 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Gently toss the fried basil with the zucchini and lemon slices and serve at once.
A light California Sauvignon Blanc with crisp acidity will pair beautifully with these crisp zucchini chips.