Crispy Tuna with Tuna-Caper Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Lidia Bastianich buys spectacular whole bluefin, then someone in her restaurant kitchen cuts it to her specifications.
Easy Way This recipe is already incredibly simple; just be sure to buy sushi-grade tuna fillets.
- One 3-ounce can imported tuna in olive oil, drained
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 small cornichons
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 7-ounce tuna steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- In a blender, puree the canned tuna with the chicken stock, mayonnaise, capers, anchovy, cornichons, mustard and white wine vinegar. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, toss the bread crumbs, thyme, parsley and 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt and pepper. Rub the tuna with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with the seasoned crumbs.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the tuna steaks and cook over high heat, turning once, until golden outside but very rare within, about 5 minutes. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Spoon the sauce onto plates, top with the sliced tuna; serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.