Â© Lucy Schaeffer
Crispy Tofu with Noodles
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Pino Maffeo deep-fries tofu in tempura batter, then garnishes the finished dish with lily buds.
Easy Way Bread the tofu with panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and stir-fry in a wok. Skip the lily bud garnish.
- 7 ounces dried udon noodles
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, hen-of-the-woods and stemmed shiitake, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound baby bok choy, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the udon and cook until tender, 5 minutes; drain. Toss with 1 teaspoon of the canola oil.
- Meanwhile, put the panko in a large, resealable plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs. In a shallow bowl, gently toss the tofu with the egg yolk. Transfer the tofu to the bag and coat with the panko.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil in a wok until just smoking. Add the tofu and stir-fry over high heat until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the oil and return the wok to high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and bok choy and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the udon and oyster and hoisin sauces and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the tofu and toss. Transfer to a bowl and serve.