- One 14-ounce package medium tofu
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- One 1-inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Sea salt
- Cooked rice or noodles, for serving
How to make this recipe
Place the tofu on a large plate with a small lip to catch water. Put a small plate on top of the tofu and something heavy (like a can of beans) on top of the plate. After 15 minutes discard the water that has drained from the tofu and cut it into 2-inch cubes.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a well-seasoned cast iron pan or non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the tofu and give the pan a shake so it doesn’t stick. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the tofu is crispy and brown. Turn each piece over and continue cooking until lightly browned, about 5 more minutes. Add more oil if needed. Remove the tofu from the pan.
In the same pan add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 30 more seconds. Stir in the crispy tofu, scallions, black pepper and soy sauce. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
Serve immediately over rice or noodles.