- 24 colossal green or black pitted olives (71/2 ounces)
- 6 ounces spicy Italian sausage, cut into 24 pieces
- 30 saltine crackers
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Cut a lengthwise slit down one side of each olive. Stuff a piece of Italian sausage into each olive.
- In a food processor, pulse the crackers until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Put the flour in a third shallow bowl. Dredge the olives in the flour, then roll them in the eggs and finally in the cracker crumbs, tossing to coat thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 325° over moderately high heat. Fry the olives, in batches, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the olives to paper towels to drain. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Contributed By Jerry Pelikan