- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Warm two 9-inch cast-iron skillets over moderate heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil to each and heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal. Add the milk and eggs and stir lightly. Add the melted butter and stir just until blended. Scrape the batter into the hot skillets; the oil should bubble. Transfer the skillets to the oven and bake the corn breads for about 18 minutes, or until the centers spring back when gently pressed. Turn the corn breads out onto a rack to cool.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.