- 1 large fennel bulb—halved lengthwise, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets with skin
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, toss the fennel with the onion, lemon juice, dill and 2 tablespoons of the oil; season with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the salmon with salt. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil until shimmering. Add the salmon fillets skin side down and, using a spatula, gently press the fillets to flatten. Cook over moderately high heat until the skin is crisp and the salmon is rare within, 5 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the salmon is nearly cooked through, 2 minutes; transfer to plates, skin side up. Serve with the fennel slaw.
Pair with a lively, citrusy, light-bodied white such as Muscadet, Pinot Grigio or Albariño.