Crispy Quinoa Burgers with Gruyère and Caramelized Onions
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Don’t be scared by the long list of ingredients—these burgers are simple to make and are delicious. Sharp cheddar, Gruyère and caramelized onions lend a ton of flavor, while quinoa adds a hearty touch.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided in half
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- One 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup packed sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese—4 thick slices, each cut in half
- 4 hamburger buns
- Butter for buns
- Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, relish, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles, for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and continue to cook until the onions have caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the quinoa and water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl mash the kidney beans with your hands, a fork or a potato masher. Mix in the cooked quinoa, grated cheddar, minced onion, garlic, chipotle powder, remaining salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a well-seasoned cast iron pan or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the quinoa patties and give the pan a shake to make sure the patties don’t stick. Cook the patties for about 4 minutes, or until the patties are brown and crispy. Carefully flip the patties over and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Divide the Gruyère cheese between the patties, cover the pan, and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- If desired, butter both sides of each bun and toast for about 4 minutes in your oven at 350°.
- Top each burger with caramelized onion and serve with all your favorite hamburger condiments.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.