- 1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon amchoor powder (optional, see Note)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound young okra—halved lengthwise and cut into long, thin strips
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium tomato—cored, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, combine the garam masala with the amchoor powder.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the okra strips, stirring a few times, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried okra to a large paper towel–lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with some of the spice mixture and salt.
In a large bowl, gently toss the fried okra with the red onion, tomato, cilantro and lemon juice. Season the salad with more of the spice mixture and salt and serve immediately.
Amchoor powder, which is made from dried green mangoes, adds a fruity, tangy note to this dish. It's available at Indian markets and from Kalustyan's (800-352-3451 or kalustyans.com).