Crispy Kale-and-Tofu Salad with Coconut
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Heidi Swanson, author of 2007's Supernatural Cooking, has already proven she's a master at creating amazingly healthy and tasty vegetarian recipes with very few ingredients. Here, she toasts kale, coconut and tofu until lightly browned and crisp, then tosses them with brown rice.
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds kalestems and ribs removed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 pound extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and position racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven. In a saucepan, combine the rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 35 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the sesame oil and soy sauce. Transfer two-thirds of the dressing to a large bowl. Add the kale, coconut and tofu; toss to coat, then spread on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 25 minutes, until crispy. Stir once or twice and shift the pans halfway through baking. Return the mixture to the large bowl and toss with the remaining dressing and rice. Season with salt and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.