- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups softened unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
How to make this recipe
In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the brown sugar and butter until smooth. Add the egg, fresh ginger and lemon zest and beat well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and cloves. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beating until well combined. Form the dough into a large disk, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350º. Scoop out 1 teaspoon of the dough at a time and roll it between the palms of your hands to form a ball. Place the balls on a cookie sheet and press down hard with the base of a drinking glass that has been dipped in flour (to prevent sticking) to form thin rounds. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sugar and bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp. Serve, or store in an airtight container for up to four days.